Thursday, March 22, 2018

Chinese Soul Food (new cookbook)

I like Chinese food, but I have never tried to cook in that genre. A new cookbook, by Hsiao-Ching Chou, Chinese Soul Food, makes the prospect less daunting. Chou’s subtitle, “A friendly guide for homemade dumplings, stir-fries, soups, and more,” goes right to the books’ primary appeal for me: dumplings. I usually order dumplings in a Chinese restaurant, and I would be more inclined to cook them at home than any other traditional Chinese dish that I can think of. The instructions for dumpling dough are easy to follow, and the fillings use ingredients that are readily available in grocery stores. He also provides a section on key ingredients, techniques, and equipment. Other, more advanced dishes are profiled as well, and the recipes are easy to follow. Photography is excellent, so you know how the dish is supposed to look. This book makes Chinese cooking accessible, even for a novice like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment